Do you need braces but you dont want a mouthful of unsightly metal wires and bands? Consider the alternative offered by Invisalign. This modern treatment which can address various dental and orthodontic conditions is not embracing the traditional metal braces. Impressions are taken of your teeth, then a computerized treatment plan is developed. The output can provide you a glimpse of your smile with the corrected and aligned teeth including the time frame of the treatment process.
The necessary correction measures for your dental problems involve the application of a set of clear plastic aligners. Each aligner is modeled to adjust a single tooth or a small group of teeth. These devices fit over the surface of the teeth, eliminating wires, and are usually worn 20 to 22 hours a day. A slight feel of pressure exists every time you wear a new set of aligners but it is definitely much more tolerable than metal braces.
Each set of aligners is worn for about two weeks, then is replaced, advancing your treatment. The success of Invisalign depends upon your commitment. Research studies conducted revealed that the common metal braces treatment takes around 36 months but in some cases it could be as long as 96 months. In the case of Invisalign treatment, the average treatment period is within the range 12 to 18 months.
Must Requirements For Invisalign
Here are must requirements to be satisfied when using Invisalign:
1. Set aside aligners before eating
2. Brush your teeth after eating and before putting back aligners to your mouth
3. If you grind your teeth at night, you may wear the liners down before the next set is needed. Check for wear and replace the worn aligner promptly.
4. You have to wear the aligners for at least 20 hours but not more than 22 hours a day.
If you fail to keep the aligners in for the required length of time, the next set in the series set may not fit. Thus, new impressions and aligners will be necessary, adding to the cost. The cost of Invisalign varies by need and geographic area. For some, the cost is comparable to that of conventional metal braces.
Advantages of Invisalign
1. Aligners are clear plastic, almost invisible, unnoticeable when in place
2. Convenience in wearing and tolerable discomfort compared to metal braces
3. Ease of use-aligners are easy to place or remove
4. Easy maintenance since cleaning is just required at least once daily
5. Improved oral hygiene as aligners are removed for meals, teeth brushed after eating
6. Lower cases of tooth decay during treatment
7. Shorter timeframe for treatment. Results of studies revealed an average of 12 to 19 months correction period
8. Decreased irritation to tongue and inside of mouth since causing objects like wires are not present
9. Can be removed for special occasions
So if you want to improve your smile without metal braces, talk to your dentist or orthodontist about the benefits of Invisalign.