You may have fond memories of eating hot dogs and chips at Wrigley Field while watching the Cubs dominate the diamond, but since your tooth loss you’ve come to accept moments like these as faded memories of the past, because you can’t fully enjoy your favorite foods with a tooth missing. You’re wondering, “Can I ever enjoy a baseball game like I used to?” You know about the possibility of dental implants as an answer to your woes, but you’re hesitant due to all the negative things you’ve read about it. Thankfully, there are answers to help dispel the myths.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants restore confidence, freeing you from hiding your beautiful smile for fear of ridicule. They also allow you again to eat all the amazing foods you love.
Missing teeth can impact your overall health, resulting in uneven chewing, meaning decreased digestion and metabolism of nutrients from your food. With dental implants you can be confident that you are chewing all your food properly.
In severe cases of tooth loss, the structure of your face is compromised, as your jawbone stops stimulating bone growth. As a result, the chin can begin to protrude and the face wrinkles more than normal. This problem is avoided with dental implants.
Implants act as your regular teeth, so they don’t require any special maintenance beyond normal recommended dental care.
What Are the Negative Myths About Dental Implants?
- People Will Notice Your Dental Implants – One of the most attractive things about dental implants is that they resemble your normal teeth. They are actually undetectable to others.
- Dental Implants are Painful – This makes people very hesitant, but the procedure is much simpler and less uncomfortable than they think. Once the implants are in place, they will feel just like regular teeth. Dr. Stirneman also offers sedation dentistry to help patients feel relaxed and confortable.
- The Recovery Time is Too Long – This period is usually three to six months, as your implant post fuses with the gum tissue. From the relative standpoint that your dental implants will contribute to a lifetime of a healthier mouth, the three to six-month period of healing is minor.
- Dental Implants Cost Too Much – The main factor to consider about dental implants is that they are normally a one-time procedure. Thus, it is most likely a one-time investment.
- Any Dentist Can Place a Dental Implant – Yes, any dentist with a valid license can place a dental implant. This does not measure the skill level of the dentist, though, and their ability to handle any issues that may arise during the procedure. But, an advanced and skilled professional will be able to safely guide you back to optimal dental health. It’s important to keep this in mind when shopping around.
The Educated Choice
The beauty of having correct information is that it empowers you to make confident decisions. Now that you have a broader perspective, you can rest assured that your steps to regain your confident smile with dental implants will be successful.