Caring for dental implants is easy if you have good oral hygiene, and a great at home care system. At Brenner Dental Care we work with our patients to establish a good at home care plan, so your dental implants last for years. In order to maintain the health of the implants, taking care of them at home is important.
The healing process for dental implants takes approximately four to six months depending on the patient. During the healing process the bone is fusing to the new implant. The tissue surrounding the implants should always remain pink with no signs of infection. If you notice any signs of infection or gum disease, contact our office.
Dental implant care guidelines:
- When brushing use a non-abrasive gel or paste to ensure any exposed surface of the implant is not scratched.
- Brush your teeth using a low abrasive brush such as a soft type tooth brush. Make sure to reach all sides of the implant while brushing.
- Floss daily using either wax free floss or a dental implant specific floss. This will help protect the tissue surrounding the implant.
- Avoid products with sodium fluoride, baking soda, stannous fluoride or stain removers. These products make the implant prone to corrosion.
- Use a Waterpik Water Flosser to reach any difficult areas. This can help reduce inflammation.
- If inflammation is present, use an anti-microbial rinse.
- Have good oral hygiene to ensure your implants stay healthy and last for years.
Care for dental implants is similar to caring for your natural teeth. Make sure to keep them free of plaque by brushing and flossing daily. If cared for properly, dental implants can last a lifetime.